For some it might seem hard to wrap their heads around making a balanced meatless meal. It's really not hard at all though, I find that tossing some beans, nuts, or tofu into a dish is an easy way to meet protein needs. Not only that, but I have read several reports that a healthy plant based diet with plenty of whole grains actually provides all the necessary protein requirements.
Below is a recipe that is super easy, quite cheap, and can easily be "beefed" up (bad pun) by tossing in some beans or nuts, both would be nice additions.
Easy Spinach Spiral with Tomatoes and Chard
1 lb. Spinach spiral pasta
1 bunch Swiss Chard
1-2 mid sized tomatoes
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste (optional)
- Prepare pasta, set aside.
- Coarsely chop chard. Slice tomatoes into chunks and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chard and saute until just wilted and tender.
- When chard is nearly done, toss tomatoes in just until heated but still nice and fresh.
- Add salt and pepper then toss veggies in with pasta.
Serve immediately as a side to a salad and/or meat substitute, or as a main dish tossed with slivered almonds, or garbonzo or white beans.
See, wasn't that easy?