Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Rockin' the CSA

This year our family decided that it would be worth our money and our health but into our local organic crop share association (CSA) and I am thrilled that we did! I have wanted to start my own backyard organic garden for sometime, but this summer we will be adjusting to and enjoying the welcoming of our fifth child, so the idea of tending a garden doesn't seem feasible. Yesterday we picked up our first boxes share and it was amaze-za-zing! I couldn't be happier with our choice.

Speaking of getting our money's worth, with a large family who loves their fruits and veggies, we have made our grocery store's discount produce rack our main go-to spot in the store. We always come home with a variety of delicious produce for very little money. The other day my Fella came home with 16 lbs of fresh blueberries for $12, a calculated $67 value! We froze most of them to make them last. 

This morning I enjoyed a healthy and delicious smoothie containing, milk, avocado, blueberries, spinach, mango and vanilla. Oh. My. Yum! 


For lunch I just made a fresh salad of Boston lettuce, blueberries, mini turnips, radish, avocado, cheddar, and a lovely maple balsamic vinaigrette.



Last night we sautéed up bok choy, turnip, red bell pepper, young garlic and scallions with soy sauce and sriracha to have as a side to our chicken thighs. So savory and fantastic. 


How do you keep it fresh while saving money? I'd love to hear from you in the comments. 

Bon Appetite!
Tamar

Thanks to Peas & Thank You for hosting yet another delicious What I Ate Wednesday blog hop!

No comments:

Post a Comment