Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Banana "Soft Serve" with Mix-Ins

These are mini bananas.
And I just think they're cute.
For the following recipe ordinary bananas are preferred.
You may have noticed I am on a hot (or cold) streak these last few Fridays with chilled-out, mellow, summer treats:
And I will keep at it as long as I have sunny summer days...okay, well I probably will mix it up a bit, but I have one more cool and refreshing treat to share and this one wears a cloak of "health food." That is, you can convince yourself that what you're eating is good for you, provides essential nutrients and can be enjoyed more than once a day. Wink.

I first came across banana "soft-serve" during a bleary, late night blog reading marathon. Does anyone else do that? Does that make me a dork? Or super cool? Well, I'm at the age where I don't care much, but I do so deeply appreciate the impact the blog world has had on my life. I've encountered amazing people, with amazing talents, food, crafts, fashion and more and have in many ways been invited to think more deeply about my own life. The best of the best really. But I digress, back to the soft-serve.

When I first found this recipe it wasn't described as such, but more along the lines of look what happens if you toss frozen bananas into a food processor (and if I could possibly retrace my steps and stumble upon that blog post again and give credit, I would...but unfortunately my dog tired brain simply can't remember where I saw it. So if you happen to know that you posted about a particularly delicious frozen banana treat months ago, KUDOS!)

Anyway, it really is like MAGIC, the alchemy that happens when you:

1. Get yourself a bunch of bananas. The riper the better.

2. Peel and slice into coins.


3. Place them on a cookie sheet to freeze.

4. Taking about a third of the total place them in your food processor (careful to head the fill line. If you have a smaller unit you may have to do this in several batches.)

5. Pulse until the bananas resemble coarse crumbs.

6. Add more frozen banana coins.

7. Repeat...

8. Add some more.

9. Repeat...

10. Then pulse/mix until a creamy, luscious ice cream like texture is achieved.
At this point I often just go for it and have a bowl, sharing with my family of course, but you can also scoop it out of your food processor and freeze in a container until you're ready to enjoy.

Also, my most favorite way to enjoy my banana soft serve is to warm up a tablespoon of Cookie Butter, yeah that's right, and drizzle it over the top. Nom, nom, nom.


Other delicious mix-in ideas, to be added either during the processing, before freezing or whenever you are ready to indulge include:

  • Your favorite nut butter. Like Elvis, I love the peanut butter and banana combo.
  • Berries
  • A tropical number: pineapple tidbits, coconut and perhaps a bit of chocolate.
  • Walnuts and caramel.
  • Oreos or another cookie (this is often a good way to make use of any crumbs you have left over.
  • Or class it up with lavender and honey.
  • I've also added a bit of coconut milk/cream during the processing and if you aren't a banana lover, this mellows the banana flavor.
If you have any other toppings that you've tried or would like to recommend, please do so in the comments below.

Bon Appetit,



Deirdre

No comments:

Post a Comment