Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Persimmon Freezer Jam and Basic Muffins


Last week my Fella picked up a pack of 6 persimmons he found on the discount fruit rack in the produce department. He thought they were tomatoes. I told him what they really were and that I'd never had them but I knew Martha Stewart seemed to like them a lot so they must be good. Hee hee.

I was intrigued by these little guys but a little intimidated too. What would I do with them? Were all the recipes going to be complicated and involved? I was delighted when right away I found a super simple Persimmon Freezer Jam recipe by doing a Google search on "persimmon recipes." 

I have been enjoying my jam (which took about two seconds to make...ok, maybe a little longer) on toast (when I manage not to burn it...or when I do, because then it tastes better) and on these quick and simple muffins via the good ol' Betty Crocker Cookbook. I love this muffin recipe because it is so easy and you can add just about any mix-in you desire to change it up. 

Want to try?

The jam recipe is here.

The muffin recipe is as follows:

1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose or whole what flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Bake in greased (bottoms only) muffin tin, filled halfway at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Makes about a dozen.

*I actually make these vegan style and sugar free by substituting a flax egg, almond milk, and stevia for the egg, milk, and sugar respectively.


Bon Appetit,
Tamar

No comments:

Post a Comment