Friday, September 21, 2012

Donal Skehan

Donal Skehan, self-taught home cook, photographer, writer and truly one of my kitchen heroes, hosts a television show in Ireland, has several cookbooks and shares recipes, from sweet to savory, regularly on his blog.

I have several favorites from his site and cookbooks, but one that I routinely return to and even have memorized (gasp! shocking only because I can hardly remember what I did last week) is his Mushy Roast Garlic and Cherry Tomato Pasta.


Something is missing! Oops- forgot the garlic. 


This recipe is a family favorite and as easy as can be to prepare. I also find it is a great substitute for those occasional macaroni and cheese or pizza requests. The roasted tomatoes and cheese are the gorgeous older sister to pizza sauce and have that authentic and sophisticated Italian flavor and the pasta fits the "macaroni" requirement. So there you go! This dish is a nice balance of comfort food and classed-up meal.


Ordinarily I serve with a more elegant pasta variety, but it was kid's choice for dinner. And we were feeling a bit whimsical.



I sliced and peeled my garlic. Keeping it as is (like the recipe says) is great too, but I had just under a bulb, so I went at it. Toward the end of the roast, I add some fresh basil to the pan.



Mush and squoosh.


 Toss, top and enjoy.

When I'm feeling decadent I serve it alongside Donal's recipe for garlic bread, which is hands down my favorite.

Bon Appetit,
Deirdre

1 comment:

  1. Looks really good - MmMmm. Thanks so much for linking up at Romance on a dime!

    ReplyDelete